[Paraview] Error building paraview server without X server support: vtkXdmf fails

Jorge Gerardo Peña Pastor jorge.pena.pastor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:21:30 EDT 2010

Hello everybody,

I am trying to compile the paraView server to use inside a cluster
withou rendering hardware.
I have configured the CMakeLists to use the following options:

PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI = OFF
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA = ON
VTK_USE_DISPLAY = OFF
VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN = ON
VTK_USE_QT = OFF
VTK_USE_X = OFF

Nevertheless, when I run "make pvserver" I get an error compiling vtkXdmf:
X11/StringDefs.h: file not found when trying to compile
vtkXdmfRenderWindowIteractor
and also other files/declarations are missing: Widget, XtPointer,
XEvent, XtIntervalId, XtappContext, and more...

I think that these objects are trying to compile against the X
libraries, but according to my CMakeLists, they shouldn't.
I guess I missed flag or need to install some extra libraries, but I
cannot realize which one.
Do you know where the error comes from?

Thak you,

                                                Jorge Peña