[Paraview] mapping unstructured grid onto regular grid

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Tue Sep 14 08:36:21 EDT 2010

Dan

the pv-meshless plugin has a resample using a probe - as you know - but the resample algorithm can be SPH, or just a conventional shepard kernel. In the SPH manager widget, you can change it.

I tried it just now and found there was some experimental code left in which gave dodgy answers. I've just fixed it (and pushed to git), so now it gives a standard shepard interpolation for arbitrary particle data. (I'm preparing material for a tutorial including some particle data demos, so timing was good there!)

To compare with vtkShepard method - I don't know as I've never used it. But vtkShepardMethod only produces an imagedata as output. the stuff in pv-meshless allows you to probe with an arbitrary geometry and has a reasonably efficient particle neighbour search using a BSP tree.

Using resample to grid allows you to create a box widget of arbitrary resolution and resample with that. Ought to give the same output (for matching grid spacing etc) as vtkShepardMethod. You can sample with line/box/plane, or arbitrary input (any dataset).

The SPH mode of operation does the interpolation using an SPH kernel, but also outputs the Shepard coefficient, which should be 1 inside the volume and 0 outside. using a contour of 0.5 allows you to generate surfaces - but it is dependent on the 'true' particle size (kernel size). The shepard mode only interpolates. However, for general scalars is v. useful. I would prefer the meshless plugin over the vtkShepardMethod filter for general flexibility.

JB