[Paraview] ImportError: libvtkCommonPythonD.so.pv3.4: cannot open shared

pat marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Sep 1 08:44:02 EDT 2010

Try setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to contain the paths that have the
vtk and paraview libs.  Setting the sys.path tells python where to find the
python modules (libvtk*Python.so) but those have dependencies on the regular
libs (libvtk*.so and libvtk*PythonD.so) that must be resolved with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Are you using python or pvpython?  Usually pvpython does some extra work so
you don't have to set the environment variable yourself.  You can see this
if you run pvpython and type-

import os
print os.environ["LD_LIBRARY_PATH"]

Pat