[Paraview] vtkGL2PSExporter usage from within Paraview's python shell

Marcin Sliwowski ms275 at duke.edu
Thu Jun 17 14:26:44 EDT 2010

  Hello Peter,

I was king of hoping you would reply, I actually saw that post and your
method of instantiating an object on vtkGL2PSExporter does work after I
do a from paraview.vtk import *

from paraview.vtk import *
exp = vtkInstantiator.CreateInstance("vtkGL2PSExporter")

I have tried exp.Write() but I get an error indicating:
vtkGL2PSExporter: No render windows provided

Then I did a couple of stabs in the dark with vtk.vtkRenderWindow() to
try an get a Render Window object but with no success, I get attribute
errors that I think are coming from me mixing up namespaces. I am doing
the import line above and from vtk import *, I wonder if that is messing
me up. I am going to read up on Python to get to the bottom of this, but
a quick hint is also appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcin

On 06/17/2010 12:30 PM, Peter Brady wrote:
> Hello Marcin,
>
> Your question may have already been answered here:
> http://markmail.org/message/zd2nwsztxl4xwbhm.
>
> However I think the last time I tried this was in 3.4 so things may
> have changed.  In my experience the vtkPostScript writer does a better
> job although it has been quite a while since I've tried gl2ps.
>
> Good luck,
> Peter.
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Marcin Sliwowski <ms275 at duke.edu
> <mailto:ms275 at duke.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am trying to figure out how to save a visualization in Paraview
>     directly to ps/eps format.
>
>     I have compiled from source paraview 3.6 with the configuration
>     option VTK_USE_GL2PS set to ON.
>
>     There are many hits in the mailing list archives regarding trying
>     to use vtkGL2PSExporter to achieve this but I couldn't find
>     anything that I could make work.
>
>     I know that I can just use WriteImage("test.eps",
>     Writer="vtkPostScriptWriter") in the python shell to get what I am
>     asking for.
>
>     However, I wonder if GL2PS could provide a better looking eps
>     file, and having spent a couple of hours on this, I would really
>     like to get to the bottom of this.
>
>     I have looked at the vtkGL2PSExporter class reference at
>     http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGL2PSExporter.html and
>     from there followed the vtkGL2PSExporter (Tests) link which
>     provides examples of unit testing that is done on the class. One
>     example is actually titled "test vector EPS output"
>
>     However, even after doing a: from paraview import vtk in the
>     python shell, when I try to follow the test example and do exp =
>     vtk.vtkGL2PSExporter() I get the following error:
>
>     AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'vtkGL2PSExporter'
>

>     Can anyone shine any light on how to actually utilize the
>     vtkGL2PSExporter in Paraview to export an .eps, my impression is
>     that it has to be done in the Python Shell, and I am not very
>     familiar with Python.
>
>     Thank You,
>     Marcin Sliwowski

>     Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
>     http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

Marcin Sliwowski
Systems Programmer
Duke University - Pratt School of Engineering
Office: 919-660-8450