[Paraview] Handling visualization of absent data in paraview

M. Nawijn nawijn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 06:50:15 EDT 2010

Dear all,

Lately I have been facing a problem building a visualization where
part of the point or cell data is missing. An example might clarify
the situation. Suppose I would like to visualize a result (e.g.
stress/strain) of a composite layered material. Since in general, the
number of layers will vary throughout a model, for some cells where
only 6 layers exist, visualization of data for layer 10 obviously
yields no results. My question is how to handle these regions of the
model where no data exists in Paraview? What I could think of is using
a color outside the active color spectrum for marking absence of data.
But what "value" should be given to this absent data in the input
file? Something like "NaN"?

Kind regards,

Marco Nawijn
National Aerospace Laboratory (NLR)