[Paraview] data array multi-component labelling

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Fri Jun 4 05:18:46 EDT 2010

I am creating grids with node-based data about ionization states. So, for different elements from the Periodic Table of Elements, I may have several states. For example:

Hydrogen has two 2 states, Helium has 3, Iron has 15.

The data are stored as vtkDoubleArrays with tuples of numbers. The Number of Components is equal to the number of ionization states.

My problem is in the GUI.

Any array with number of components less or equal to 3 can be colored by Magnitude, or by component, where the components are labelled X, Y, Z. However, in this chemistry problem, the components are not spatial dimensions, they have nothing to do with XYZ.
Any array with number of components greater than 3, can be colored by component labelled from 0 to N-1, which the correct way we think of when calling elements and their ionization states.

Is there a way to enforce this labelling from 0 to N-1, instead of the spatial-centric notation _X, _Y,_Z?

The problem shows up elsewhere. Using the Calculator, I get a long list of labels, some of them indexed by _[XYZ], some of them indexed by _{012345678910]. We would much prefer an homogeneous labelling.

A much improved GUI for the Contour module would be the ability to directly choose a component from a multi-component data array, without having to resort to the Calculator. is this in the plan?

Thanks for the help