[Paraview] plotting only the viewable part of a very large dataset

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Apr 28 12:15:32 EDT 2010

Streaming and AdaptiveParaView do that like so:

reader supplies meta information including piece bounding boxes

a filter, vtkVisibilityPrioritizer, is inserted at the end of the pipeline

vtkVisibiltyPrioritizer gets the camera/viewport and the bounding
boxes (if they are not transformed by the intermediate filters) and
rejects pieces that are offscreen so that they are never
read/processed at all

AdaptiveParaView goes one step further and progressively increases the
sampling resolution of each piece

some very recent work by Jon Woodring @ LANL goes further and uses the
screen resolution to improve the resolution sampling algorithm and
works with unstructured data of a particular format

Feel free to try/extend and or borrow from those two experimental
ParaView applications.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer