[Paraview] Sanity Check - Parallel GPU rendering

Paul McIntosh paul.mcintosh at internetscooter.com
Tue Apr 27 07:36:06 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I am trying to get parallel GPU accelerated volume rendering happening and I
just want to confirm my understanding below is correct...

For GPU acceleration I will require X Server running on each node so that
ParaView can create a local OpenGL context to enable OpenGL calls to the
hardware. The OpenGL context needs to use something like NVIDIA libraries as
it ignores anything that might have OpenGL implemented in software (e.g.
Mesa).

Googling shows me that it is possible to create screenless X Server
configurations that use video hardware (e.g. with a NVIDIA Tesla). So in a
cluster I am assuming that this is what I need to do for each node that I
wish to participate in the parallel rendering.

Is the above correct? Or is there a simplier way of doing it?

Cheers,

Paul
---
www.internetscooter.com