[Paraview] filled boxes / particles while doing a clip through the data

Karl Raiber karl.raiber1985 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:41:24 EDT 2010

Hi,

at the moment I'm doing my master thesis and I'm fighting with the following
problem: I'd like to visualize a set of voxels (coordinates x,y,z and one
material property of the voxel, which can be chosen, are given). In the
following there's an small example of the data I'd like to import in PV:

x    y    z     material
0    0    0    1
0    1    0    0
0    1    1    2
1    0    0    1
1    1    1    3
1    2    3    0

For the first try I chose an VTK unstructured grid file; it has been
imported in PV as "VTK unstructured grid". In the following I created a
glyph with boxes. That works fine, but afterwards I tried to do a clip and
the major problem came up: within the clip the boxes are empty - only the
walls of the boxes are displayed. It's mandatory that the boxes are filled.

I also tried another solution: import of the VTK-file as a VTK particle
file, the glyph function works also fine and the clip function produces
filled (I suppose so...hard to say) boxes, but the information / material
property is lost. I appended the VTK-file at the end.

It will be perfect if someone might help me and knows a solution to get
solid/filled boxes including the scalar material property. Is this an issue
of the VTK-file? In case of - where's my mistake or what should I change?
The export format of my data is quite flexible...

Thanks a lot in advance for hints, have a nice evening,
Karl

% ==================== EXAMPLE VTK-File =========================

<VTKFile type="UnstructuredGrid" version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian">
  <UnstructuredGrid>
    <Piece NumberOfPoints="10" NumberOfCells="0">
      <Points>
        <DataArray name="Position" type="Float32" NumberOfComponents="3"
 format="ascii">
        0 0 0
        1 1 1
        0 0 1
        1 0 1
        0 1 1
        0 0 1
        1 1 2
        1 2 1
        1 2 2
        2 2 2
        </DataArray>
      </Points>
      <PointData  Vectors="vector">
    <DataArray type="Float32" Name="Structure" format="ascii">
        0
        1
        2
        3
        1
        2
        2
        3
        0
        0
        </DataArray>
      </PointData>
      <Cells>
        <DataArray type="UInt8" Name="types" format="ascii">
        </DataArray>
      </Cells>
    </Piece>
  </UnstructuredGrid>