[Paraview] Magic Crop Filter

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Tue Apr 20 05:57:51 EDT 2010

Hi!

Today, I made a very interesting experience. I wanted to have the
vtkImageClip functionality available in Paraview and performed the same
steps as always to get a Paraview-Plugin out of a VTK Filter. I compiled
the plugin, called it ImageClip and copied it over to my Paraview Plugin
directory. Then I started Paraview. When browsing through my custom
"Extensions" Filters-entry, I found that there is no ImageClip but a
Crop! And this crop provided me with a nice GUI, letting me change the
output size with spinbuttons and already providing the maximum x/y/z
extents! Wow! It was like if Paraview said "Ah, I know that vtk Filter
and I happen to know which parameters it likes and how to preset its
values. You surely won't mind if I ignore your ServerManager xml and do
all by myself, do you?"

How comes? And the most interesting part is: how can I make the
ServerManager xml define default values that are actually variables
(such as the image extents)? And why does Paraview handle vtkImageClip
differently?

Best regards,
Christian