[Paraview] Find Data in Python

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Sun Apr 18 15:38:38 EDT 2010

Hi Utkarsh,

these are great news. I tried the python trace but not in combination
with the extraction (what I acutally do need anyway....)

As you might remember I am working around the "lack" of possibilty to
select whole objects (cells with same RegionID). With the given
SelectionQuerySource this workaround is complete.

There remains one issue: At some point I call an ExtractSelection() in
Python that is followed by a call to a vtk-Plugin (which writes the
point data of the selected points to disk). The resulting file is empty,
because the Extraction takes a few seconds and obviously the plugin has
no valid input when being executed. Paraview also crashes as a
consequence. When I am doing this manually (trigger ExtractSelection,
wait until it's done, call the vtk Plugin to write the point data)
everything works fine. I could just go ahead and do a dull time.sleep(3)
between the extraction and the call to the plugin, but this certainly
isn't good programming style.

What can I do instead?

Best regards,
Christian