[Paraview] Vtu file issue

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 16 15:59:02 EDT 2010

(Replying back to the ParaView mailing list because, contrary to popular opinion, I don't know everything. :)

Now that I'm looking at it, implementing this in ParaView is a bit harder than I originally thought.  However, it is pretty easy to write a VTK (not ParaView) Python script to convert the one data set to a series of data files.  I have attached such a script.  You need to run this with vtkpython (as opposed to, say pvpython or in the ParaView GUI).  I'm not sure if this executable comes with the ParaView binaries, but it definitely something that is built from the ParaView source.

The "right" way to implement this would be to create a new reader for ParaView that used the vtu format and the odd array-name-is-time convention.  It should be pretty trivial for a developer, but not something I would want to be someone's first experience with ParaView.

-Ken