[Paraview] Problem reading large data set (ensight format)

Luca.Clementi at tororosso.com Luca.Clementi at tororosso.com
Wed Apr 14 04:58:28 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I'm trying to read a large data set ~60Milion cells in Ensight format. The
files on the disk are about 18GBs.

I compiled Paraview with mpich, I run 8 pvserver on my workstation with
mpirun. My workstation has _144GB of RAM_ (which should be enough to load
the entire data set), with two quad core.

When I try to load the data set I always get the error reported below. I
monitored the situation and when this happen my workstation RAM usage is
only ~ 26%.

Thank you for your help,
Luca

lclementi at ws09:~/develop/paraview/paraview-bin/bin> /home/lclementi/develop/paraview/mvapich2/bin/mpirun
 -np 8 /home/lclementi/develop/paraview/paraview-bin/bin/pvserver
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
Client connected.
Process id: 0 >> ERROR:
In /home/lclementi/develop/paraview/paraview-3.6.2-src/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkProcessModule.cxx,
 line 1297
vtkProcessModule (0x5d7330): Exception: Insufficient memory exception.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
rank 2 in job 1  ws09_35270   caused collective abort of all ranks
  exit status of rank 2: killed by signal 9