[Paraview] Accessing mappers from within Paraview

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Apr 7 07:16:51 EDT 2010

Hi!

I just wrote a nice mapper which writes some data to the disk, taking a
volume as input. I thought I could access it from the "Filters" menu,
but this wasn't possible. In future, this mapper should be called from
the python shell, but there, it isn't known either:

> >> help(MeasureObjects)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<console>", line 1, in <module>

NameError: name 'MeasureObjects' is not defined

The plugin-manager however says, that he loaded my plugin ("...is
definetely a paraview plugin..."). It shows up as "loaded" when
verifying this.

The plugin is not intended as a writer or something like that, it just
looks at the input and writes something to the disk which Paraview
couldn't use for anything anyway. Here is my xml content:

<ServerManagerConfiguration>
  <!-- This is the server manager configuration XML. It defines the
interface to
       our new filter. As a rule of thumb, try to locate the
configuration for
       a filter already in ParaView (in
Servers/ServerManager/Resources/*.xml)
       that matches your filter and then model your xml on it -->
  <ProxyGroup name="mappers">
   <SourceProxy name="MeasureObjects" class="vtkMeasureObjects"
label="MeasureObjects">
     <Documentation
        long_help="Measures objects (connected components) in a volume."
        short_help="Classical measuring.">
    This is classical object measuring filter.
     </Documentation>
     <InputProperty
        name="Input"
        command="SetInputConnection">
           <ProxyGroupDomain name="groups">
             <Group name="sources"/>
             <Group name="filters"/>
           </ProxyGroupDomain>
           <DataTypeDomain name="input_type">
             <DataType value="vtkImageData"/>
           </DataTypeDomain>
      </InputProperty>
   <!-- End MeasureObjects -->
   </SourceProxy>
 </ProxyGroup>
</ServerManagerConfiguration>

If I define the plugin as a filter then Paraview complains about not
having an output port.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Christian