[Paraview] Auto-Execute Plugin on Selection

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Mon Apr 5 06:07:28 EDT 2010

Hi!

I'd like to know if there is a way to execute a macro on a certain
event, e.g. when the user does a selection in the 3D viewer. The problem
is that I have to select several object out of many candidates. Of
course, I could just do a multiselection with using the Ctrl key, but
for reasons of usability it has to be prevented that a selection can get
lost. Take a look at the attached image and imagine you were analyzing
this dataset for quite a while and already selected several objects with
a multi select. On the next object you forget to press the control key
while selecting... Bad luck... Everything is gone. You may start all over.
So I thought maybe I could call a plugin whenever a selection is done.
This plugin could just look up the x,y,z coordinates of the selection,
which would already do the job for me. If this is not possible, would it
be worthwhile looking into the source to ruthlessly "hack" this into
Paraview?
Or does somebody have any other good idea?

Maybe it would be nice to turn multiselection permanently on/off!

Best regards,
Christian