[Paraview] Problems compiling vtkSMExtractDocumentation in CVS

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Sep 30 10:27:26 EDT 2009

Hey all,

For the past month or so I've been having trouble getting CVS ParaView
to build completely. I always get an error when it gets to the linking
of vtkSMExtractDocumentation:

Linking CXX executable ../../bin/vtkSMExtractDocumentation
Undefined symbols:
   "vtksys::RegularExpression::compile(char const*)", referenced from:
       FilterDescription(std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)in
vtkSMExtractDocumentation.cxx.o
   "vtkSMIntRangeDomain::GetMaximum(unsigned int, int&)", referenced
from:
       WriteDomain(vtkSMDomain*, std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)in vtkSMExtractDocumentation.cxx.o
       WriteDomain(vtkSMDomain*, std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)in vtkSMExtractDocumentation.cxx.o
       WriteDomain(vtkSMDomain*, std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)in vtkSMExtractDocumentation.cxx.o
   "vtkSMPropertyIterator::Begin()", referenced from:
       WriteProperties(vtkSMProxy*, std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&)in vtkSMExtractDocumentation.cxx.o
(... I can send the rest if it would be helpful...)

With "make -k" I can still get it to continue far enough to build the
ParaView application, so it hasn't been critical, but it's a bit of a
pain. Does anyone have a clue whether I'm just choosing some bad
options, or something?

Here is my configuration and the changes I make to the default options
in CMake (just doing a pretty basic serial build w/python enabled):

OS X 10.5.8 (gcc 4.0.1)
CMake 2.7.20090713
Qt-4.5.2, open-source, Cocoa

BUILD_SHARED_LIBS: ON