[Paraview] [Bug?] Loading/importing a Paraview state resets the colors & representation of existing scene objects

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Tue Sep 29 19:59:36 EDT 2009

Hi -

I may have found another Paraview (3.6.1) bug -- not sure if it a bug or
a feature, or if it has been reported. Basically, when a Paraview state
is loaded into a non-empty scene, the color attributes of the existing
objects are reset to the default white. Here's how to reproduce this bug
(note, all the color changes below are done in the object inspector):

1. create a sample object e.g. a sphere, set its color (to red for
example), and save the state to a *.pvsm file

2. Clear the scene and create a new object e.g. a cube, set its color
(to blue for example), and its representation to wireframe.

3. Import/load the state saved in step 1. The process hides the blue,
wireframe cube (nice feature).

4. Make the existing object visible. Result: its color has been reset to
white, and its representation (from wireframe) to surface

On the subject of color, here's something odd that I noticed. Again, it
may be a matter of design but it seems a bit inconsistent to me. Its
best demonstrated by the following two-part example:

Part I:
   - create an object e.g. a sphere
   - set its (solid) color (to blue for example)
   - switch the representation to wireframe
   - Result: wireframe appears white!

Part II:
   - Still in wireframe mode, set the ambient color to red
   - Switch to surface with edges' representation
   - Result: wireframe and surface appear blue!!

BTW, I'm aware that color type in wireframe representation is given the
name "ambient", as opposed to "solid" as in the surface representation.

- Olumide