[Paraview] Parallel ParaView: inexplicable results.

Martin Aunskjær maaudk at yahoo.dk
Thu Sep 24 01:36:27 EDT 2009

I am getting the infamous warning

"Display is not accessible on the server side.
Remote rendering will be disabled."

whenever I start PV in client/server mode. This is because the remote pvservers cannot connect to the local X servers. The only way I have been able to get rid of it is to physically log in to each remote node before I establish the client/server connection (OSMesa not an option). Now, I can either choose to do that (case 1), or I can choose to accept the above warning and tolerate that only data processing will be parallel - rendering will be done locally on the client (case 2).

I have observed that the following procedure produces different results in case 1 and 2:

Start client/server using reverse connect.
Load data set.
Apply D3 filter.
Apply ProcessId filter.
Adjust color map resolution to equal number of pvserver nodes.
Color data set with process id.

Case 1:
-------
The whole data set is colored with process 0 color.
The pvserver continuosly spits out:
ICET,0:ERROR: Sizes of src and dest do not agree.

Case 2:
-------
Data set colored as expected showing equal distribution of data between nodes.
pvserver spits out:
No protocol specified.

In both cases Remote Rendering Threshold is on and set to 0 MB.

The ICET error is likely caused by different screen resolutions on servers and client. It is not possible for me to have the same resolution everywhere.

The 'No protocol specified' is due to the missing X server connection, so this is expected.

Why is case 1 different from case 2 - is it because of the ICET error ?

A few details:
ParaView 3.6.1 Release build from sources.
Data set size 111 MB.
VTK_MPI_MAX_NUMPROCS:STRING=32