[Paraview] ParaView in parallel

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:33:19 EDT 2009

Hi Paul,

If you have graphics cards available then you likely don't want to use
mesa, rather hardware rendering.

You'd be better of reading you data in parallel than using D3. Why add
an extra stage to your pipeline, and one that involves interprocess
communication?

Depending on the data the vtk pipeline can tell you how to partition,
image data for example. Otherwise you can devise your own approach.
Perhaps giving each process the same number of points such that the
points are clustered near each other is a good approach. I don't think
filters need to do anything very special to work in parallel, unless
interprocess communication is required. There is some documentation in
the PV guide for parallel readers.

In my experience NFS is suboptimal for parallel readers, especially
those using MPI IO. But I doubt nfs is entirely to blame for your troubles.
> I also tried saving my data once it was partitioned but then loading
> it actually took longer (is this due to a lack of parallel filesystem?)
In your serial reader does each process load all of the data? If yes
then I don't think you can blame nfs. What writer/reader did you use?
Stay away from XML file format if you care at all about performance.

I have seen readers that divide the available blocks among available
processes. However, I am a fan of the single file approach as it's
easier to divide the data up such that one gets balanced loading
independent of the number of processes used. MPI2 has optimization for
non-contiguous access on parallel fs.

I often use PV in parallel with Mesa and lustre fs. The system I use
doesn't have graphics hardware and if I don't run parallel then I run
out of memory pretty quickly. I have image data and the vtk pipeline
tells how to partition. It works well. My rule of thumb is to use as few
processes as possible not to run out of memory. In my experience this
gives the best performance, but it may have something to do with the
particular data and filters I use, as I have heard Ken say that PV
scales well to 100s of processes.