[Paraview] Problem with custom time-aware reader

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Sep 10 18:44:20 EDT 2009

Actually, we designed the file series reader with the understanding that time ranges might overlap, but with a different use case in mind.  Our users often have to run simulations far past the mean time to failure of the platforms they are running on.  To handle the problem of the inevitable crash of the system, the simulation periodically writes out checkpoint files.  When the system fails, the simulation is "backed back" to the last checkpoint and restarted.  As the simulation reruns from this point, it will recompute some time steps and rewrite out the data for those times.  The file series reader understands that these time steps are duplicated and picks the one most likely to be correct.

So the problem is that your case excludes this case.  If the file series reader declared an error whenever it encountered multiple versions of the same time, it would not be reading in the restarted simulation data correctly.  The problem is, your case does not really represent an actual time series in the physical sense.  I can see the utility of looking at the intermediate solutions, but these intermediate solutions are not a real progression of events in a physical sense.  It is by removing the intermediate results that you get a progression of actual physical events.  In fact, I can see utility in viewing the data in either way.

So instead, I suggest some workarounds.  First, your reader might be able to sense which iterative intermediate result it is reading and then add some delta to the time to make the file series reader recognize them as different times.  This is probably the most hack-ish, as, again, these intermediate results do not really represent a time series (even if you want them animated as such).  Second, you could have a flag in your reader to ignore time.  If your reader does not set the time keys, the file series reader will treat the files as an ordinary sequence.  Third, you (or I) could add a flag to the file series reader that would force it to ignore the time in the reader.  This flag would be hidden for most readers, but could be exposed for your reader.

-Ken