[Paraview] greek letters

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 8 21:51:44 EDT 2009

> I would change that a bit. The ability to use Latex is not the main
> issue here. Rather, it is the ability to use symbols and other unicode
> characters as well as (possibly) the ability to typeset equations.
> Whether this is entered as Latex or MathML or something else is more
> of an implementation detail, isn't it?

Actually, I believe there are 3 separate issues, but they are all
important: MathML is horribly tedious to type in and GUI equation
editors are frustratingly slow if you know LaTeX so please don't
discount human interaction. The issues are:

1. Rendering of character glyphs other than 7-bit ASCII
2. Lay out and rendering of mathematical equations (and possibly other
formatted text like tables)
3. Easy input of equations (and other text for fancy layout).

Also, Berk didn't say it, but at least in VTK you can now use a Qt
renderer that will draw any Unicode string so #1 above is done but not
taken advantage of in ParaView. However, this does have the
disadvantage of requiring Qt on the server side since I believe labels
are drawn by all the processes running pvserver.

	Just my 2 cents,
	David