[Paraview] OverView 0.7.0 alpha: empty "Data" menu with Xcode build target

Zak Burke zak.burke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:37:41 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Jeff Baumes <jeff.baumes at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Interestingly, building OverView for Windows XP using the MinGW/Msys
>> target in CMake suffers the same problem.
>>
>> My first MinGW attempt failed (see
>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/paraview/2009-August/013379.html) but I
>> was able to get everything to compile by building HDF5 outside the
>> ParaView source tree, and configuring PARAVIEW_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5 to ON.
>> But, just like the Xcode build, everything compiles but since the Data
>> menu is empty, I don't have a way to connect my database.
>>

> I believe all the entries in the data menu are part of the Infovis plugin.
> Verify that PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_Infovis is on. If it already is, my next
> assumption is that the plugin does not load correctly ... you can try
> manually loading it from the Manage Plugins dialog and see what happens.

Thanks! The plugin was failing to load, and the error message in the
Manage Plugins dialog pointed me to the problem, as did
/var/log/syslog, where I should have looked in the first place.

When building with Xcode, TWO version of OverView.app are generated:
one in ./bin that fails to launch ("You can't open the application
'OverView' because it is not supported on this architecture.") and
another at ./bin/Debug that launches but has no plugins directory
(i.e. ./bin/Debug/OverView.app/Contents/MacOS/OverView-startup is
missing). Happily, the broken application DOES have a plugins
directory containing all those missing plugins, and copying it into
the application bundle of the working application solves the problem.

I'm glad to have this working, but now I have a few more questions:

1. Why are two OverView.app bundles generated by Xcode?

2. When a plugin fails to load, should that generate an error message
such as, "Plugin XYZ failed to load"? When the plugins are missing, I
get an "Output Messages" dialog box that says, "Failed to create a
proxy for the requested view type." but that doesn't really hint at
the underlying problem.

Thanks for helping me get this resolved.

Cheers,

Zak