[Paraview] Graceful error handling?

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:40:11 EDT 2009

I tried to load what is apparently a bad ply file in paraview. Paraview
crashed and I was left in my terminal with the error:

ERROR: In /home/doriad/src/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkPLYReader.cxx, line 132
vtkPLYReader (0xa412288): Cannot read geometry

Is there a way that paraview could stay alive and throw errors like this
itself in a message box or something? I've had similar problems when trying
to decimate an invalid mesh - it would be nice to see "error decimating
mesh" instead of paraview just closing/crashing.

Maybe there is already something like this in place and it is just not being
used by all the vtk classes?

Thanks,

David