[Paraview] Problems using Paraview 3.6.1 on a linux cluster

alfacentauri2 at inwind.it alfacentauri2 at inwind.it
Fri Oct 9 02:59:34 EDT 2009

> Hi Paolo,
>
> Answers below.
>
> > 1)
> > - I start the pvserver on the master node of the cluster with the command:
> >
> > mpirun -np 64 -machinefile /home/utente/ParaView/ListaNodi /home/utente/ParaView/ParaView-bin/bin/pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
> >
> > - I start the paraview on the client
> >
> > - I establish the connection between client ad server
> >
> > then, when I try to open a file, I always obtain this error:
> >
> > vtkServerConnection.cxx, line 67
> > vtkServerConnection (0x265b060): Server Connection Closed!
> >
> > [nodo1:07134] *** Process received signal ***
> > [nodo1:07134] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
> > [nodo1:07134] Signal code:  (128)
> > [nodo1:07134] Failing at address: (nil)
> > [nodo1:07134] [ 0] /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x7f84c6f9ea80]
> > [nodo1:07134] [ 1] /usr/lib/libGL.so.1(glBlendFuncSeparateEXT+0x16) [0x7f84c86732e6]
> > [nodo1:07134] *** End of error message ***
> > Segmentation fault
>
> Which OpenGL and MPI are you using?

- We are trying to use ParaView on a cluster without GPUs, so that we had to install OSMesa library (version 7.0.3-7) as explained here:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server#X_Connections

- Open MPI 1.2.7rc2

>Does this happen when running locally

No, it doesn't.
I tried to run the client and the server on my computer and it works.

> when running 1 server node?

Yes, it does. I tried to run the client and the server on the master node of the cluster: the error occurs when we push the button "apply"
(after establishing the connection between client and server and after loading a file)

> > 2) When I try to execute some tests with the command:
> >
> > ctest -I ,,10
> >
> > I obtain too many errors in the log file (you can see in attach), for example:
> >
> > /home/utente/ParaView-bin/bin/QVTKCxxTests: error while loading shared libraries: libQVTK.so.pv3.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > but the file libQVTK.so.pv3.6 (and the others lib*) is in the directory
> >
> > /home/utente/ParaView-bin/bin
> >
> > Could you please help me?
> > Thank you in advance!
>
> Are you running from the build tree or did you do a make install?

We run the test in the /home/utente/ParaView-bin directory.
We did make install.

> If you did a make install, did you compile with VTK_USE_RPATH ON or OFF?

VTK_USE_RPATH = OFF (default, I believe)

> This probably has something to do with not having rpath and not
> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

How LD_LIBRARY_PATH has to be set? On each node?
Have we to install rpath on each node of the cluster?

If you need more information, please let me know.
Than you very much