[Paraview] [Bug?] Loading/importing a Paraview state resets the colors & representation of existing scene objects

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Oct 1 16:20:30 EDT 2009

> 1. create a sample object e.g. a sphere, set its color (to red for example),
> and save the state to a *.pvsm file
>
> 2. Clear the scene and create a new object e.g. a cube, set its color (to
> blue for example), and its representation to wireframe.
>
> 3. Import/load the state saved in step 1. The process hides the blue,
> wireframe cube (nice feature).
>
> 4. Make the existing object visible. Result: its color has been reset to
> white, and its representation (from wireframe) to surface

This is not really a bug. When a state file is loaded ParaView removes
all representations (with all their current settings) for existing
objects. Hence all color information etc. for the existing objects is
lost. In fact, there has been talk to remove all existing objects in
totality before state is loaded.

> Part I:
>  - create an object e.g. a sphere
>  - set its (solid) color (to blue for example)
>  - switch the representation to wireframe
>  - Result: wireframe appears white!

This is a feature :). We associate separate colors with surface and
(points, wireframe, outline). Just to see the usefulness of this, try
this: with default paraview settings (use paraview -dr if you have
changed your settings) create a 2 spheres, one with surface
representation and another with wireframe. Now save a screenshot,
however choose the "Print" color palette before hitting Ok. Now look
at the image, you'll see that without any extra hardwork, your
wireframes are visible (in black) while your solid sphere is nice and
white with shading (image attached).

> Part II:
>  - Still in wireframe mode, set the ambient color to red
>  - Switch to surface with edges' representation
>  - Result: wireframe and surface appear blue!!

This is again due to the fact that wire frame and surface and
edge-color are different colors. If you want to change egde color,
there's a "Set Edge Color" button on the display tab.

Utkarsh