[Paraview] Hide Cells/Points

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Nov 20 08:24:03 EST 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Rafael March <rafaelmarch3 at yahoo.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I'm programming a plugin for ParaView, whose purpose is to be a
> pre-processor for a finite element simulator. It is all based in selecting
> nodes or elements, and defining some regions - based on these - so that one
> can attribute boundary conditions to them. The main challenge seems to
> assure that the user will be able to select EVERY node or element he wants.
> So I'm treating all kind of selections, but I'm stucked in some problems and
> I have some questions:
>
> 1-Why the "New Range" button in the Selection Inspector is always
> deactivated ? Is this option already implemented in ParaView ?

I am not sure what that button was for.

> 2-It would be pretty useful if the user could select all the nodes/cells in
> an coordinates interval. Is there anyway to do this ? Selection based on
> location only allows me to select one coordinate at a time, but I can't
> specify an interval.

Location selections only find cells/points containing a discrete set of
points. To find points within a volume you need to use a frustum selection.

>  3-Is there anyway to "hide" selected cells/nodes ? I don't want to extract
> them with a filter (I would do this by just applying the Extract Selection
> filter) but just restrict the mesh in the screen to some subset. If I could
> do this, it would be easier (or even possible) to select some cells by
> picking.

Short of extracting the inverse of the selection, no. VTK doesn't really
have good support for not showing particular cells (except for in the
vtkUniformGrid class). The options to make it hide cells include the alpha
component in the color map, and producing new data sets that lack the
selected cells. Neither of which are build into paraview's selection
infrastructure.

> 4-Finally, Is there anyway to control Frustum's shape or dimensions ?

I don't believe so. At one point the points that define the bounding box
were displayed and editable on the selection inspector but it doesn't seem
to be the case today. I think we took that out because of the contraints on
the locations (it always has to define a hexahedron and the point have to
have a particular order) make it too hard to enter manually. We've been
meaning to turn the "Show Frustum" feature into a widget so that you can
refine it (bug#6549) but we have yet to get around to it.