[Paraview] API Change between PV 3.4 and 3.6 for XY Plots

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 16 11:18:08 EST 2009

A long while ago I wrote a custom plugin that read some data from an
HDF5 file. There were 6 output ports defined as follows:

//
//
//
int vtkH5VizFileReader::FillOutputPortInformation(int port,
vtkInformation* info)
{
   // Both of our output data sets will be vtkUnstructuredGrid
   if (port == 0 || port == 1)
   {
     info->Set(vtkDataObject::DATA_TYPE_NAME(), "vtkUnstructuredGrid");
   }
   else if (port == 2)
   {
     info->Set(vtkDataObject::DATA_TYPE_NAME(), "vtkMultiBlockDataSet");
   }
   else if (port > 2 && port < 6)
   {
     info->Set(vtkDataObject::DATA_TYPE_NAME(), "vtkRectilinearGrid");
   }
   return 1;
}

With ParaView 3.3.1 (From the time), when I open the file I get the
expected 3D View + 3 XY plot views showing the data.

   With ParaView 3.6.1 I get the 3D view, but now I get 3 more 3D
views, plus 3 XY Plot views, none of which have anything rendered or
plotted (Except the main view). This is time based data but that does
not seem to effect anything. I can skip around in time and the main 3D
display updates that data but none of the other views render data. If
I look in the pipeline browser, the 2D plot data is associated with
the other 3D views and not the 2D XY plot views.

   So my question is first, is there any API change between PV 3.4 and
3.6 that jumps out any anyone that I should take a look at? Where
might I start looking to track down what the problem is? Is there a
better data type than "vtkRectilinearGrid" to use for XY Plots with
newer versions of ParaView?

   This was with the PV 3.6.1 source downloaded from the main PV
downloads site, Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio 2008 standard. PV was
built as a 32 bit version using Qt version 4.5.3 if that matters. The
existing PV 3.3.1 that I have built was built against VS 2008 with Qt
4.3.5.

Any help is much appreciated.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net