[Paraview] Rendering bug?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 11 09:48:59 EST 2009

I do not think that this is a rendering problem.  I think you have just fooled the filter that extracts the external faces of the blocks (which is what is actually rendered).  Notice that when you arrange the overlapping meshes exactly as you are doing, that some of the faces are coincident.  In particular, the face that is missing is coincident.  Up to the point before you run clean to grid, these faces are topologically distinct because they use an independent (although coincident) set of points.  When you run clean to grid, these coincident points are merged.  When the points are merged, the cells from the two meshes now share the same indexed points.  At this point, these faces are no longer topologically distinct.  The external faces filter notices that these two faces use the same points and marks it as a neighbor face (this is the definition of a neighbor face) and "correctly" removes it.

The problem is basically that when you append the data sets you are creating a non-manifold mesh.  To correct the problem, you need some sort of filter that identifies coincident cells and removes duplicates.  I know of no such filter, so you will probably have to write your own.

-Ken