[Paraview] Switching to parametric coordinates

peter heppel peter at peterheppel.com
Tue Nov 10 04:27:36 EST 2009

Berk
This is a well-known problem and incidentally one for which I have an
implementation.

In general you can map an open surface mesh to a plane without problems
(once you've dealt with an ill-conditioned matrix). In the literature you'll
see people have tried minimizing various properties of the surface in order
to make a 'good' parameterization. See for instance Desbrun, Meyer & Alliez
'intrinsic parameterizations of surface meshes' Eurographics 2002.

These approaches will give you some (UV) coordinates but I imagine that you
want a bit more than that: you want to map your mesh to a rectangle in
parameter space such as u=0, v=0 to u=1, v=1.

This is also easy to formulate and solve, provided that you know which
vertices are on which edge of the parameter space. But this is a user
choice. The filter must either ask the user to pick the corners, or apply
some user-defined heuristics to identify them.

I'd be glad to make my code available as a vtk filter although as this will
be my first it will surely need careful reviewing.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Heppel

35 Rue de locmalo