[Paraview] extracting line data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 9 11:18:50 EST 2009

On 11/6/09 9:24 AM, "Stephen Wornom" <stephen.wornom at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

Questions:
1- What does ^@ mean?
2-What does ^A mean?

These values, in the vtkValidPointMask column, are bit flags that were originally stored in ParaView in a char array.  When writing out the file, the CSV writer (incorrectly) assumed that these were ASCII characters and so wrote the bits out directly to the file rather than converting them to numbers.  I consider this a bug, so I submitted a bug report on it (http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=9869).

(The actual meanings of the values depend on how your terminal or editor converts these non-visible character values, but in this case I think it is pretty clear that ^@ is representing the character 0 and ^A is representing the character 1.)

The mesh contains 61 vertices, vertices 0-4 have no meaning that I can
tell, the same for vertices 56-60.

They in fact probably have no meaning at all.  When you ran the Plot Over Line filter, the plot probably extended past the ranges of the mesh (which is common).  When the plot over line filter encounters samples outside of the mesh, it marks it as invalid in the vtkValidPointMask and writes dummy values for the fields.

How can I convert this table to a simpliler table with only the values:
"Density","Pressure","Mach","K","Epsilon","LogFR","Temperature","Velocity","Velocity","Velocity","Vorticity","Vorticity","Vorticity","original_coordinates","original_coordinates","original_coordinates","arc_length"

The easiest way is to simply bring the data into a spreadsheet program like Excel, delete the offending columns, and save the data back out.

The csv data was written on my workstation, PV 3.4.0 was executing with
4 cpus.

I recommend updating to PV 3.6.  The table and CSV support has been improved (especially for importing CSV files).

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov