[Paraview] Branding: Active element w/o pipeline browser

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Nov 5 14:48:17 EST 2009

Hey,

I've finally started taking a closer look at the new ParaView
"Branding" (off of Utkarsh's git repository), and first of all I'd
like to say that you have done an amazing job so far! This is going to
make it so much easier to create custom-built PV-based applications.

I was looking at the Clone2 CustomApplication example
(paraview_revised_2 app) which has a lot of standard PV, but doesn't
include the pipeline browser. This is interesting to me because I
think there will be cases when my users will want as simple an
interface as possible, so I was wondering whether one function of the
Pipeline Browser could be reproduced in another way:

If there is only a single data set loaded, with a linear pipeline,
then the most recently applied filter/data is shown in the Object
Inspector, and it's easy to change display parameters. If there are
multiple data sets loaded, each with some filters applied, then
without a Pipeline Browser there is no way to switch back and forth
between the two currently displayed representations (if that is the
right term) to change their display parameters, or add new filters to
their branch of the pipeline.

Is there some natural way of adding another selection mode or tool
that would let you click on an object in the 3D render view and it
would make that representation (pipeline element) the active one, just
like you can by clicking on an element in the Pipeline Browser?

Thanks again for all the nice work,
-Eric