[Paraview] Opacity < 1 significantly slows things down

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon May 11 16:52:41 EDT 2009

When objects with opacity < 1 are involved, ParaView uses depth-peeling to
ensure that the primitives are rendered in correct order. Depth peeling is a
multipass rendering technique which uses frame buffers etc. and hence is
slower than rendering without depth peeling at all. To verify that it's
depth peeling that's slowing things down, go to "Edit|settings" and in the
"Render View" options, uncheck Enable Depth Peeling.

Utkarsh