[Paraview] extract surface of multiblock mesh

Chris Kees christopher.e.kees at usace.army.mil
Fri Mar 27 13:46:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

I would like to extract the surface mesh of a 3D tetrahedral mesh and
clip off one boundary to see what is inside. This is to visualize a
flow simulation around an object inside a tank.  The tetrahedral mesh
is partitioned into 512 subdomains so if you look in the information
viewer you see
Multiblock-DataSet
	Block 0
		0: UnstructredGrid
		511: UnstructuredGrid

So far I've tried MergeBlocks->ExtractSurface->FeatureEdges->Clip and
various permutations that I've seen in previous posts and the wiki,
but I always end up with the  surfaces on the interior of the tank as
if it still sees each subdomain as a closed surface.  I'm sure people
do this all the time, but I can't seem to get it right. I'm wondering
if I've written the data incorrectly so there is no simple way for
paraview to eliminate internal processor boundaries from the domain.

Chris