[Paraview] Fwd: annotating in paraview?

goller at gmail.com goller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:49:20 EST 2009

David, thanks for the reply.

On Mar 6, 2009 10:05am, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> I can't think of a good way to do that without doing a lot of either

<snip>

> I think we would need to extend ParaView with an annotation filter
> that would show in text format values from the data set it inputs and
> with an easy way to assign arbitrary attribute values into a data set.

This is exactly what I need. Essentially, some sort of selection
representation and arbitrary key/value pairs. The values would need to be
stored somewhere. Any ideas where/how to store them? Perhaps a database?

> The first would require some sort of warning, or memory limit, because
> it would quickly overwhelm both cpu time and screen space when applied
> to any data set with more than a few MB of data values. This is the
> reasoning behind the current annotation limitations.

Is it overwhelming because of the time it takes to render text?

> The second can be done via the python filter (or for floating point
> numbers the calculator filter) now. However a GUI, perhaps through the
> spreadsheet view, would be much more user friendly. For large data
> sets, there will have to be some way of not having to specify every
> value.

Some sort of table view would be great. Each row would contain the
attributes about whatever data was previously selected.
How can this be done with a python filter now?

> Please submit a feature request via the bug tracker. I think this
> would be a really useful addition.

Cool, it's now in as case 8700.