[Paraview] Calculator and vector products

Dan Goldstein dan at cora.nwra.com
Thu Mar 5 11:18:22 EST 2009

Am I correct that the cross() operation is still broken in ParaView
3.4.0
related to the bug posted: http://www.gccxml.org/Bug/view.php?id=2903 ?

randall.hand once suggested the addition of the support for the vector
cross product operator. It was added some time later. Then some new
operators such as boolean ones were added and during this process
unfortunately the vector cross product operator was carelessly
disabled due to the incorrect check on the number of the input
parameters.

The correct format of a vector cross product operation is:

     ====================================
     vector_C = cross(vector_A, vector_B)
     ====================================

     INSTEAD OF

     ====================================
     cross(vector_A, vector_B, vector_C)
     ====================================

     In other words, there should be TWO parameters and ONE comma.

     However, the bug in vtkFunctionParser:: CheckSyntax() occurred
within the following segment (between line 1444 and line 1453):

     if ((functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_MIN) ||
         (functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_MAX))
       {
       expectCommaOnParenthesisCount[parenthesisCount+1] = 1;
       }
     if ((functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_IF) ||
         (functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_CROSS))
       {
       expectTwoCommasOnParenthesisCount[parenthesisCount+1] = 1;
       }

     Now this segment has been replaced with

     if ((functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_MIN) ||
         (functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_MAX) ||
         (functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_CROSS))
       {
       expectCommaOnParenthesisCount[parenthesisCount+1] = 1;
       }
     if (functionNumber == VTK_PARSER_IF)
       {
       expectTwoCommasOnParenthesisCount[parenthesisCount+1] = 1;
       }

     Now the code performs correct check on the input format in terms
of vector cross product and the suggested functionality is supported.

       Thanks for suggesting the enhancement.

It says it is fixed but it seems to exhibit the behavior  described it
the history of this bug (in 3.4.0). Namely if you give it two
arguments it complains
about needing three? Is this fixed in the cvs version?

Thanks

Dan