[Paraview] Query about TableToStructuredGrid filter

Lester Anderson lester_anderson1963 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 06:54:26 EDT 2009

Hi Utkarsh

Thanks for the info, I can now see how it works from your sample file. I did have to re-order the entries in my test CSV file in order to get it plotting as a cube and not as a distorted one (with the original format). It does appear that the Table to Structured Grid expects the CSV data to be in a particular order, but it does not seem to be able to handle data values entered in effect randomly, even though the positional information (XYZ) is explicit.

I did apply a quick test on some real data, a few sampled layers as the whole data are quite chunky! Even though I enter the extents of the data properly, it fails with the the same error message. I have attached a zipped data file for you to see, it is only 3 data layers (z=0, -100, -200), with the units in metres (XYZ).

X: 291000 - 321000
Y: 2026000 - 2056000
Z: -200 - 0 (negative to get depth in the right direction!)

I already have the whole dataset as a VTK file (thanks to Berk's help), but this is a useful test of real-world data. The whole dataset forms a volume 30km x 30km x 10km (XYZ) so pretty big!

If you can work out why it is not working on the Table to structure grid, that would be a great help. Table to points is perfectly fine with the extents exactly as expected. As longs as the data are on a regular grid, then Paraview should be able to convert this to a structured grid irrespective of the order of the data points. Perhaps it would be useful to have some clarification on the way Paraview processes the data and whether or not we are expected to preformat the input CSV file.

Thanks

Lester