[Paraview] Multiple servers

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:10:27 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 8:09 AM, David E
DeMarle<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> Sort of.
>
> The point of using MPI is to establish a "virtual parallel machine".
> The physical machines that comprise that virtual parallel machine can
> all work together because they are part of the same mpi job. The
> parallel filters within VTK that paraview uses are only written to
> work with the other machines in the same mpi job.
>
> I say sort of because it is possible to run paraview in a split server
> mode, consisting of exactly  two virtual parallel machines. One
> machine first does most of the visualization pipeline filtering work,
> then the other does most of the rendering pipeline work. These are
> referred to as pvdataserver and pvrenderserver respectively. Inside
> each server communication happens over MPI and between the two servers
> communication happens over TCP instead of MPI, as it does between the
> servers and the client.
>
> You can refer the the parallel processing section of the ParaView
> user's guide for details.
>
> David E DeMarle

I'm still having a couple of issues...

If I connect with "startup type: manual" after starting pvserver on
the remote machine, everything is working fine. If I connect with
"startup type: command" and put "pvserver" as the command, it says

"The startup command failed to start ... check your PATH and file
permissions " - even though I assured pvserver is on my path on the
remote machine ('which pvserver' returns the correct path')

If I put "/home/doriad/bin/ParaView3/bin/pvserver" as the command, it says

ERROR: In /home/doriad/src/ParaView3/VTK/Common/vtkClientSocket.cxx, line 54
vtkClientSocket (0xe7009f0): Failed to connect to server
sgi6110.ecse.rpi.edu:11111

ERROR: In /home/doriad/src/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager.cxx,
line 289
vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager (0xe096790): Connect timeout.

I can password-less ssh (using rsa keys) both ways.

Does anyone know what would cause this behavior?

Thanks,

David