[Paraview] vtkXMLStructuredGridWriter class

Rakesh Hammond rakesh.hammond at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:12:09 EST 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to write out a part of my *.vts file into a new *.vts file,
where the user can select the i,j,k.  In fact I would like to write out the
i and k for a given j.
In order to do this, I am using the vtkXMLStructuredGridWriter class, in
particular the SetWriteExtent<http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.2/html/a01601.html#661ae15ae5c0963599148b55c6041ad0>(int,
int, int, int, int, int) method.

The .vts file contains points data and 9 arrays of data such as velocity
etc.

If the SetWriteExtent method is called with (1 16 1 11 1 2) for example,
every thing works as normal and I can visualize the data using Paraview for
example.

However, if the argument is (1 1 1 11 1 2), the points are written out, but
the arrays containing velocity are not written - well the definitions are
written (Float data, etc) - but not the values.

What am i doing wrong here?  Incidentally I am on VTK-5.2
Perhaps, I am not using the write method, if thats the case can some one
please point me towards what method/classes I should be using?

Thanks,
Rakesh