[Paraview] DICOM series reader for Paraview

Biao She shebiao at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:36:31 EST 2009

Hi everyone.
I am wondering if anyone know how to integrate a ITK(GDCM) based DICOM
reader to Paraview?
My basic idea is:
1. Read DICOM series data through ITK(GDCM)
2. Export the data to a vtkImageImport class
3. Use the data in vtkImageImport as a source of Paraview
I have done the first two steps. But I am not sure how to do the third one.

I have read something about how to write a Paraview Reader in the Paraview
book. It is said that all the readers must derive from vtkAlgorithm or one
of its subclass. Fortunately, vtkImageImport is one of its subclass. So, I
guess it would be a good idea to choose vtkImageImport as a superclass of my
reader. Am I right?
If I choose vtkImageImport as a superclass, to make my reader works
properly, which methods should be implemented in my reader?

The last question is: How do I read the path to DICOM files from Paraview
Client GUI and pass it to my reader? For example, the DICOM data is stored
in /usr/DATA/ directory, how can I pass this value to my reader?

Thanks very much for your help!

Aaron