[Paraview] vtu files with two pieces

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Wed Apr 15 16:44:43 EDT 2009

Sreejith,

For two truly separate parts, create two separate *.vtu files. Each of
the files should have a unique name (not really necessary for PV). PV is
happy to read and display multiple datum sets -- even the same datum set
twice. If you plan later to have many parts (for example, 100 parts),
the collection can be aggregated with via a single *.pvd file (a
meta-file or "mother-file"). Having PV read the single *.pvd file will
load all of the *.vtu files referenced within the *.pvd file.

A good rule to follow is to have each part as a "standalone" displayable
graphical object.

Later on when you want to process large sets of data, EnSight-formatted
binary files incorporate a "part" concept. Also, the EnSight-formatted
data set has constructs for parallel file sets, and multiple files for
individual data streams to get around file size limitations.

Sam