[Paraview] creating very large data sets

Rakesh Hammond rakesh.hammond at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:40:41 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I want to create a few billion cell data set to do bench marking.  I thought
it would be useful to write a small
app to generate the data set and output the file into several pieces.  I
managed to get it working and it outputs
what I need and I can load this data correctly in paraview.  In short, I
create

vtkRectilinearGrid,
set dimensions of the grid,
pass this as input into vtkXMLPRectilinearGridWriter
and the job is done.

However, I am now faced with the problem, where I run out of memory when I
create the rectilinearGrid, like
vtkRectilinearGrid *grid = vtkRectilinearGrid::New();
grid->SetDimensions(2000,2000,2000);

and this falls over, because of lack of memory.  Is there a clever way to
get around this problem ?

Alternatively, I thought I can just loop over the number of pieces I want,
and create a rectilinear grid for each piece
and use the vtkXMLRectilinearGridWriter - this is also fine, but I am unable
to set the piece and whole extent correctly.

For example, if I define the problem as a 100,100,100 and want to write into
10 pieces, because now my grid dimension is
10,10,10 - the writer picks up the wholeextent from the grid, which says
10,10,10 - but in fact it should be 100,100,100 - if I manually
try to set this, I get an error saying my piece extent is outside the whole
extent.

Can some one please give me some pointers as to how I can solve this
problem?