[Paraview] problems debugging plugin writer

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 27 17:26:10 EDT 2008

My plugin writer does not show up in ParaView drop-down menu of save
file types (unlike my plugin readers). Problem is I get no
hints/errors/warnings whatsoever. How can I debug what is happening,
e.g. see if something goes wrong with the xml server file?

I am posting my xml file here, but actually I would much prefer to be
able to debug this myself rather than have someone point me with a
finger to a wrong line...

<ServerManagerConfiguration>

	<ProxyGroup name="writers">

		<WriterProxy name="vtkHDF5ImageWriter"
								 class="vtkHDF5ImageWriter"
								 label="HDF5 Image Writer">
     <Documentation short_help="Write a an image in a HDF5 file."
       long_help="Write a an image in a HDF5 file.">
       The reader reads structured HDF5 datasets. The default file
extension is .image.
     </Documentation>

		 <InputProperty name="Input" command="SetInputConnection">
			 <ProxyGroupDomain name="groups">
				 <Group name="sources"/>
				 <Group name="filters"/>
			 </ProxyGroupDomain>
			 <DataTypeDomain name="input_type" composite_data_supported="0">
				 <DataType value="vtkImageData"/>
			 </DataTypeDomain>
		 </InputProperty>

		 <StringVectorProperty
        name="FileName"
        animateable="0"
        command="SetFileName"
        number_of_elements="1">
        <FileListDomain name="files"/>
        <Documentation>
          This property specifies the file name for the HDF5 writer.
        </Documentation>
     </StringVectorProperty>

	 </WriterProxy>
  </ProxyGroup>