[Paraview] computer locks up while saving screenshot or animation

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:17:36 EDT 2008

This is a known problem for animations using onscreen rendering. Search the messages for the last 3 weeks in the list archives.

The current solution is not easy: build a version of ParaView from CVS using Mesa instead of OpenGL, and set the "use offscreen rendering" flag in cmake. The result works for me using pvbatch with the command line option "--use-offscreen-rendering".

I'm not sure if this solution will help if you use paraview or pvpython. I've only used the PNG writer and don't know about other writers.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center