[Paraview] Animated Parameter Annotation

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Apr 15 17:48:43 EDT 2008

Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> Hmmm, very interesting; it could be done using python.
> Here a plan:
>
> * create a simple "Text" source proxy.
> * add observer to the animated properties vtkCommand::ModifiedEvent.
> * in the call-back, change the text of the text source proxy to match
> the value of the property.
>
> A caveat: python event-observers/callbacks don't work in python shell in
> the paraview GUI. However, should work fine with pvpython/pvbatch.
>
> Utkarsh

Thanks! Here's what I think you are suggesting. In this case the Z coordinate of the plane's origin will be animated:

===================================
from paraview import servermanager
servermanager.Connect(
implFuncModule = servermanager._createModule( "implicit_functions" )

# Create plane used to make the cut (used by "Cut" filter)
CP = implFuncModule.Plane()
CP.Origin = [ 0, 0, 0 ]
CP.Normal = [ 0, 0, 1 ]

# Create the text (missing: location, size, etc.)
T = servermanager.sources.TextSource()
T.Text = "Z = 0.0"

# Called during the animation as the cut is changed
class mycallback( servermodule.vtkCommand )
   T.Text = "Z = %3.1f" % CP.Origin[2]

CP.AddObserver( "PropertyModifiedEvent", myCallback )