[Paraview] [xdmf] - vtkXdmfReader - time support

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Apr 9 04:18:50 EDT 2008

I've just checked in some changes to the vtkXdmfReader for handling time
dependent data.

I have also uploaded a test dataset to here
ftp://ftp.cscs.ch/out/biddisco/xdmf

this contains a single Volume of dimension {24,24,24} with several
scalar/vector fields.
Interesting Vector fields are
    X-Vector {1, 0, 0}
    Y-Vector {0, 1, 0}
    Z-Vector {0, 0, 1}
which makes it ideal for testing. Some other fields are block number and
suchlike which are only useful to me.

In the Xdmf xml file, the same data is referenced twice - so there are
two time steps - they are actually the same data in both time steps, but
the second step swaps the x,y,z vector fields around by simple changing
the string references to datasets in the hdf5 file.

In timestep 0 (time value 0.0)
x - X
y - Y
z - Z
In timestep 1 (time value 0.2)
x - Y
y - Z
z - X

The changes I have made to the XdmfReader might break some code since I
had to change the Grid storage from a Map structure to a vector - to
allow the same grid name to be used for multiple time steps. There are
also many other small tweaks/fixes all over the place.

I will check in some changes to the vtkXdmfWriter later, but will post
separately on that.

Please let me know of any problems this introduces - I think there is
still much work to be done (c.f. other vtk data types)

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/BJohn.php