[Paraview] Re: ParaView Digest, Vol 42, Issue 29

Yvan Fournier yvan.fournier at free.fr
Mon Oct 15 19:59:56 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 16:07 -0400, Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:07:25 +0200
> From: "Olesen, Mark" <Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com>
> Subject: RE: [Paraview] Polyhedron support
> To: 'Berk Geveci' <berk.geveci at kitware.com>
> Cc: paraview at paraview.org
>
> Hi Berk,
>
> > I didn't look at it yet. From conversations I had with various people, I
> don't think we will be able to
> > include it verbatim in VTK.
> > We will have to rewrite some of it; something that may take a month or
> more. We
> > are currently pursuing funding for this work. If everything goes as
> planned, I hope to have polyhedron
> > support in VTK by spring '08.
>
> In the meantime, could you please get it checked into CVS?
>
> Simply tagging the first checkin with
> 'just-received-not-yet-ready-for-primetime' would help.
> That way others might have a chance to get working on partial
> implementations for readers in the meantime.
> I, for one, wish an EnSight reader that doesn't segfault when it comes too
> close to nfaced cells ;)
>
> I think that lots of people could live without things like the native
> input/output provided that we can have a vague idea of what the API and vtk
> cellType might look like. Of course, a very basic functionality would also
> be quite nice (and other things disabled with #ifdef's). This way we can
> start seeing what needs to be done to the various readers to target this
> cellType.
>
> /mark
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its Confidential status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Hello Mark,

To read EnSight files without segfaulting on nfaced elements, while
waiting for full polyhedron support, you may try this modified version
of the VTK EnSight readers:
http://yvan.fournier.free.fr/paraview/nfaced/
They read nfaced elements as VTK_CONVEX_POINT_SET, which is nowhere near
as good as full polyhedron support, but still more useful than a
segfaulting application (I recently updated it to the main ParaView 3
CVS, though I should still add handling, or rather ignoring of g_nfaced
elements for EnSight SoS format files).

There is an older version of these modified files in the ParaView
bugtracker, but it seems to have gathered some dust.

Hoping this is useful.

	Yvan Fournier