[Paraview] GPL and Paraview and Qt

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 2 10:39:53 EST 2007

As they like to say at Groklaw, IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but the GPL
does allow in-house modification of source code without releasing to the
public.  This question is explicitly answered on the GPL FAQ, at:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

I'll paste it here for convenience:
Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to
the public?

     The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You
are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever
releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies),
too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally
without ever releasing it outside the organization.

     But if you release the modified version to the public in some way,
the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the
program's users, under the GPL.

     Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in
certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to
release it is up to you.

(Copyright (C) 2001, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin
St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110, USA
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in
any medium, provided this notice is preserved.)

Also, you can and should find the appropriate clause within the GPL
itself.  I don't recall exactly where, but it is in there.

-Sean