[Paraview] Transparent Surfaces Mottled

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Mon Nov 20 09:58:15 EST 2006

It seems that there is a bug that causes transparent surfaces to have strange shading. This might be related to bug #2347 reported 10/27/2005 (it seems to still be open).

When the opacity is changed from 1 the formerly smooth surface becomes mottled (see attachment opaTst1.jpg). I've checked the surface normals and they are correct. The built-in sphere source (see attachment opaTst2.jpg) shows similar problems. Both
images were generated using ParaView's File->SaveImage and look the same as on screen.

System:
ParaView 2.4.4
Fedora Core 5
Pentium 4

Have others seen this effect? We've seen it on several systems and it makes transparent surfaces almost useless.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center