[Paraview] Re: ParaView Digest, Vol 31, Issue 25

Yvan Fournier yvan.fournier at free.fr
Sun Nov 19 16:14:16 EST 2006

Hello Fabian,

I have a patch for ParaView/VTK allowing you to read EnSight gold files
with polyhedra. You can find the patch (for ParaView's CVS for version
2.5 as of March 3, 2006) at the following URL:
http://yvan.fournier.free.fr/paraview/nfaced/

To apply the patch on a current CVS version, overwrite the EnSight
reader files in ParaView's src/VTK/IO directory with the ones from
the patch, modify the CVS/Entries file in the same subdirectory
so that the following versions are given:

vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx/1.64/
vtkEnSightGoldReader.cxx/1.56/
vtkEnSightGoldReader.h/1.20/
vtkEnSightReader.cxx/1.61/
vtkEnSightReader.h/1.27

then update your CVS directory (to merge changes to those files)
These files have changed little over time (yesterday's versions
were at vtkEnSightReader.cxx/1.63/ and vtkEnSightReader.h/1.28,
others were unchanged), and I can send you updated versions if
you prefer. In any case, you will need to recompile ParaView
(or parts of it at least).

This patch is also entered in ParaView's bug tracker as Bug #2971.
Polyhedra are converted to VTK_CONVEX_POINT_SET, which may not
be the best way to do things, but at least works.

For your info, I ran a 480,000 cell mesh generated by Comet Design
(a precursor of the meshing tools in Star CCM+ I believe, and
in any case a CD-Adapco product from 2-3 years ago) through
our CFD code's pre-processor, generating EnSight Gold files.
EnSight read it quite easily, while ParaView seemed to split it
into 12 million or so tetrahedra, leading to memory consumption
close to 2 Gb and making further operations impossible on a
32-bit machine, but it worked, and works fine for smaller cases
(except for artifacts at junctions between "classical" and
"polyhedral" elements appearing as false boundaries (which
dissapear when the tetralization filter is applied to the whole
set, and should not be an issue with data from Star-CD or Star-CCM+,
which is purely polyhedral (as far as I know).

Good luck !

	Yvan Fournier
	EDF R&D
	Fluid Mechanics, Power Generation, and Environment
	6 Quai Watier, 78400 Chatou, France

	yvan.fournier at edf.fr

P.S. I will be out of office most of the coming week, so if you have
any questions, please use this e-mail adress (yvan.fournier at free.fr),
as I cannot connect to my work adress from outside my office.