[Paraview] ParaView and Ensight

Paul Adams paul.adams.jr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 13:51:59 EST 2006

Do you dispute the facts that Kent Misegades lays out?

1. ParaView was funded by DoE and DoD labs.  That is an incontrovertible
fact.  When you launch ParaView, you see the Los Alamos National Laboratory,
Sandia National Laboratories, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, and
U.S. Army Research Laboratory logos on the splash page.  In case you miss
it, you can always find it under Help-->About.
2. The national laboratories are funded by U.S. taxpayers.  Again, this is
an incontrovertible fact.
3. ParaView is given away freely.  Again, this is an incontrovertible fact.

Do you think that ParaView would be in as good a shape IF the U.S. taxpayer
did not fund it via the DoE and DoD?

My point is this:
1. Kitware received U.S. taxpayer money via the DoD and DoE to make it the
product it is.
2. Open-Source is not a panacea.  Paying someone good money to develop a
good product is still the best way to make good software.
3. EnSight is still a great product and can do things that ParaView cannot
do.
4. ParaView is still a great product and can do things that EnSight cannot
do.

I view ParaView and EnSight as tools in the toolbox.  I use whichever one
will best solve the current problem I have.  Sometimes the answer is that
neither one will solve the problem so I have to write my own code.

Paul Adams